Best Film In a Horror Series

General horror discussion. What's coming to theaters or DVD.
New Wave Shamrock
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse
Anti-Spam Question: No

Re: Best Film In a Horror Series

Post by New Wave Shamrock » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:36 pm

Rotting Corpse wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:20 pm
Warlock is another I remembered. Seen the first two and liked both (can't remember which was my favorite). Never saw the third which didn't have the same actor in it.
Sadly, I've just seen the original.
:badger:

Rotting Corpse
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Rotting Corpse » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:06 pm

The first two are both really good from my memory. Been years since I last watched them, hope to re-visit them sometime soon.

Rotting Corpse
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Rotting Corpse » Tue May 02, 2017 9:31 pm

Would Jurassic Park count as at least part-Horror? I think while not purely Horror they do have a bit of a Horror-y component to them that doesn't make them out of place amidst a Horrorthon. In any event the original is easily the best of the series.

New Wave Shamrock
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by New Wave Shamrock » Thu May 04, 2017 1:58 pm

Rotting Corpse wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 9:31 pm
Would Jurassic Park count as at least part-Horror? I think while not purely Horror they do have a bit of a Horror-y component to them that doesn't make them out of place amidst a Horrorthon. In any event the original is easily the best of the series.
Part horror? Sure. Though I'd say Disney's Hocus Pocus, yes the film with Bette Midler as a singing witch with giant orange hair chasing Thora Birch in her child star years and the boy from Eerie, Indiana, is part horror. Not because of its having witch characters who at one point actually kill a small child. But because of the "Come Little Children" musical sequence which is genuinely spooky.

But I wouldn't list these films along with horror films, they would instead be placed in a separate list for non-horror films with horror moments in them. Dominated by something like Little Shop of Horrors, which arguably - with the director's cut "Don't Feed the Plants" ending - is actually a full-on, full-blooded, full-social commentary and incredibly dark turn of the story and terrifying ending horror film.

Rotting Corpse
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Rotting Corpse » Thu May 04, 2017 11:02 pm

I kinda think Hocus Pocus in a way is a Horror film, a family-oriented one but Horror none the same as it has enough Horror elements in it.

With the Jurassic series, the original novel was arguably straight-up Horror, but the movie had a much more majestic quality to it that diluted the Horror aspects quite a bit, though the dinosaur attack scenes were still intense. But in the novel the attacks are so much more graphic and gruesome.

Rotting Corpse
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Rotting Corpse » Wed May 10, 2017 11:13 pm

If Godzilla and King Kong count as Horror, there's also those two for this. It's been forever since I last watched any of the older ones, but the 2014 Godzilla as well as the more recent Kong: Skull Island were both entertaining and were strong comebacks for their titular monsters.

New Wave Shamrock
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by New Wave Shamrock » Fri May 12, 2017 4:11 am

Rotting Corpse wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 11:02 pm
I kinda think Hocus Pocus in a way is a Horror film, a family-oriented one but Horror none the same as it has enough Horror elements in it.
For me, it's a combination of aesthetic + effect. If it's creepy externally and it's meant to feel externally creepy while it's communicating an internally creepy idea, it basically is horror. In Hocus Pocus, the only scene where that qualifies is the "Come Little Children" scene. The rest of the film is hitting the Comedy, Exhilaration, or Whimsy buttons.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac » Sun May 14, 2017 4:36 pm

New Wave Shamrock wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 4:11 am
Rotting Corpse wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 11:02 pm
For me, it's a combination of aesthetic + effect. If it's creepy externally and it's meant to feel externally creepy while it's communicating an internally creepy idea, it basically is horror. In Hocus Pocus, the only scene where that qualifies is the "Come Little Children" scene. The rest of the film is hitting the Comedy, Exhilaration, or Whimsy buttons.
I would agree. A creepy or scary scene in an otherwise non-horror movie, doesn't make it a horror movie. Almost all Disney cartoons would then be classified as horror. Hocus Pocus is a harmless, lighthearted family holiday movie.

King Kong, Godzilla and the like, also not horror movies.

Rotting Corpse
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Rotting Corpse » Sat May 20, 2017 9:34 pm

I saw Alien: Covenant yesterday and quite enjoyed it and it's certainly the best entry the series had had in a long time, but I still think Aliens is the best and always will be. Though I'm sure some would say the original.

Rotting Corpse
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Rotting Corpse » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:24 am

The Thing is another I remembered. It's eligible with the 1951 original, the 1982 remake and 2011 prequel. John Carpenter's 1982 remake is definitely the best and one of my favorite films of any genre, Horror or otherwise. My personal favorite of Carpenter's filmography as well, which is no small feat given his lengthly and mostly excellent body of work.

Also interesting to note Carpenter considers it part of his "Apocalypse Trilogy," which also includes Prince Of Darkness and In The Mouth Of Madness. In any event, The Thing is easily my favorite of these three.

Alien Redrum
Mocks you.
Mocks you.

Post by Alien Redrum » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:35 pm

I only copied the titles down where I either like something more than the original, or need to revisit for an honest answer.

Evil Dead - Evil Dead 2
Alien - Tie - Alien & Aliens. That might seem like cheating, but I consider Alien horror and Aliens sci-fi.
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Original or remake. It took me a long time to like the original.
Insidious
The Conjuring
The Purge - whatever the latest one is. Heavy handed politically, but I still dug it.
Romero's Living Dead - Dawn. Hands down, not even a contest.
Amityville - Part 2
Sorry, no, the less that TV companies plough into reality bullshit, the better. - Follow HorrorTalk on Twitter.

The never-updated blog.

Letterboxd - HorrorTalk.com 2017 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge

Rotting Corpse
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Rotting Corpse » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:00 pm

I think Aliens is still Horror, albeit a heavily Action-oriented Horror film.

Alien Redrum
Mocks you.
Mocks you.

Post by Alien Redrum » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:53 am

Yeah, it definitely matters what you consider it. It just doesn't frighten me though. There are moments of suspense, absolutely, but it doesn't scare me like a horror film does.

But it's not something I'd even debate because I get why people would consider it horror too.
Sorry, no, the less that TV companies plough into reality bullshit, the better. - Follow HorrorTalk on Twitter.

The never-updated blog.

Rotting Corpse
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Rotting Corpse » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:25 am

It's a different type of Horror from the original Alien. The original is more atmospheric and more of a slow-burn suspense film whereas the sequel is an all-out Action ride. Both are excellent in their own way and it's very much an apples and oranges comparison when comparing them. Both excel at what they do.

Alien Redrum
Mocks you.
Mocks you.

Post by Alien Redrum » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:24 pm

Definitely agreed on all counts.

The never-updated blog.