2017 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

General horror discussion. What's coming to theaters or DVD.
User avatar
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Posts: 4863
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:17 am
Anti-Spam Question: No
Location: At a party with the Lizzies

Re: 2017 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by Neon Maniac » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:21 am

I haven't. Is it standalone enough if I haven't watched a Chucky movie in 20 years?

User avatar
Sham
Ex-Closet Monkey
Ex-Closet Monkey
Posts: 691
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:45 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: 2017 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by Sham » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:32 am

Definitely NOT a standalone film. Which is both its strength and weakness.

User avatar
LivingDeadGirl
Shuffling Flesh Eater
Shuffling Flesh Eater
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:27 am
Location: in Agodadavida
Contact:

Re: 2017 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by LivingDeadGirl » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:53 am

Sham wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:09 pm
So has anyone else checked out Cult of Chucky on Netflix yet? The first half hour is fan-fucking-tastic, but then it treads familiar waters and becomes your standard B-movie.
Yeah, I just watched it and I have so many questions.
Spoiler:
Since when did Chucky become a horcrux? And is Jennifer Tilly playing the part of Jennifer Tilly and the Tiffany doll is Tiffany? What happened to Andy - is he still stuck in lockdown? I hope they do another. It seems like they will since they left the ending pretty open-ended.
Everything I love about horror can be found on MY TUMBLR.

User avatar
shiki-jitsu
HorrorTalk Hardcore
HorrorTalk Hardcore
Posts: 2746
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:01 pm

Re: 2017 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by shiki-jitsu » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:06 pm

Sham wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:32 am
Definitely NOT a standalone film. Which is both its strength and weakness.
Hmm ok... I don't think I have watched a Chucky film since Bride of... I need to see the others?

I will admit I am curious about this one for some odd reason.

User avatar
DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1908
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:30 am
Anti-Spam Question: No
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: 2017 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by DJBenz » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:00 pm

Sham wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:09 pm
So has anyone else checked out Cult of Chucky on Netflix yet? The first half hour is fan-fucking-tastic, but then it treads familiar waters and becomes your standard B-movie.
I saw the world premiere last month, wasn't worth it. I thought it felt like an episode that needs another film, rather than working as a film in its own right.
HorrorTalk on the web: www | Facebook | Twitter | Vimeo (Fuck YouTube) | Tumblr

User avatar
DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1908
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:30 am
Anti-Spam Question: No
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: 2017 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by DJBenz » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:01 pm

Neon Maniac wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:21 am
I haven't. Is it standalone enough if I haven't watched a Chucky movie in 20 years?
Watch Curse of Chucky, then Cult and you'll be set.
HorrorTalk on the web: www | Facebook | Twitter | Vimeo (Fuck YouTube) | Tumblr

User avatar
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Posts: 4863
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:17 am
Anti-Spam Question: No
Location: At a party with the Lizzies

Re: 2017 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by Neon Maniac » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:29 pm

DJBenz wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Neon Maniac wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:21 am
I haven't. Is it standalone enough if I haven't watched a Chucky movie in 20 years?
Watch Curse of Chucky, then Cult and you'll be set.
Thanks, I may do that out of curiosity.

User avatar
LivingDeadGirl
Shuffling Flesh Eater
Shuffling Flesh Eater
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:27 am
Location: in Agodadavida
Contact:

Re: 2017 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by LivingDeadGirl » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:38 am

I watched "Bound By Flesh", the documentary about Daisy and Violet Hilton. Would that count for the horror movie challenge since they were in "Tod Browning's Freaks" even though the movie didn't get a huge mention in the documentary? It was more about their life story.
Everything I love about horror can be found on MY TUMBLR.

User avatar
Alien Redrum
Mocks you.
Mocks you.
Posts: 6083
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:36 am
Anti-Spam Question: No
Location: At a birthday party.
Contact:

Re: 2017 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by Alien Redrum » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:00 pm

I think counting that would be the equivalent of me counting a documentary I watched on Sissy Spacek because she was in a horror film once.
Sorry, no, the less that TV companies plough into reality bullshit, the better. - Follow HorrorTalk on Twitter.

The never-updated blog.

Letterboxd - HorrorTalk.com 2017 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge

User avatar
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Posts: 4863
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:17 am
Anti-Spam Question: No
Location: At a party with the Lizzies

Re: 2017 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by Neon Maniac » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:04 pm

LivingDeadGirl wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:38 am
I watched "Bound By Flesh", the documentary about Daisy and Violet Hilton. Would that count for the horror movie challenge since they were in "Tod Browning's Freaks" even though the movie didn't get a huge mention in the documentary? It was more about their life story.
I would say no. Not sure how or why the life story of disabled sisters would be considered horror. A doc on HH Holmes, Jack the Ripper, etc. Sure. A doc on a horrific event even, like the Tate Murders, or something sure. A doc on the making of a horror movie, or a horror writer, sure.

User avatar
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Posts: 4863
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:17 am
Anti-Spam Question: No
Location: At a party with the Lizzies

Re: 2017 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by Neon Maniac » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:05 pm

Alien Redrum wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:00 pm
I think counting that would be the equivalent of me counting a documentary I watched on Sissy Spacek because she was in a horror film once.
Why were you watching a doc on Sissy Spacek? Did XFlix send you the wrong DVD again? Sissies in Space was decent, but not worth all the trouble you're going through to see it.

User avatar
Alien Redrum
Mocks you.
Mocks you.
Posts: 6083
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:36 am
Anti-Spam Question: No
Location: At a birthday party.
Contact:

Re: 2017 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by Alien Redrum » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:44 pm

Neon Maniac wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:05 pm
Alien Redrum wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:00 pm
I think counting that would be the equivalent of me counting a documentary I watched on Sissy Spacek because she was in a horror film once.
Why were you watching a doc on Sissy Spacek? Did XFlix send you the wrong DVD again? Sissies in Space was decent, but not worth all the trouble you're going through to see it.
Because she's led a fascinating and well-rounded life, but you wouldn't know that because you are too judgmental and negative to watch documentary on her.
Sorry, no, the less that TV companies plough into reality bullshit, the better. - Follow HorrorTalk on Twitter.

The never-updated blog.

Letterboxd - HorrorTalk.com 2017 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge

User avatar
DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1908
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:30 am
Anti-Spam Question: No
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: 2017 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by DJBenz » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:35 pm

Watched Blade tonight. Nothing much to say except I love this film. The CGI shows its age, but the rest of the film still kicks ass.
HorrorTalk on the web: www | Facebook | Twitter | Vimeo (Fuck YouTube) | Tumblr

User avatar
Alien Redrum
Mocks you.
Mocks you.
Posts: 6083
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:36 am
Anti-Spam Question: No
Location: At a birthday party.
Contact:

Re: 2017 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by Alien Redrum » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:05 pm

DJBenz wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:35 pm
Watched Blade tonight. Nothing much to say except I love this film. The CGI shows its age, but the rest of the film still kicks ass.
I want to revisit the whole series at some point because I definitely liked all three during the first go around.

I like how you labeled what's on Netflix and Prime and such in your watch list. I totally ripped that off. That's actually pretty cool because I might want to watch something you watched without having to buy it.
DJBenz wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Neon Maniac wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:21 am
I haven't. Is it standalone enough if I haven't watched a Chucky movie in 20 years?
Watch Curse of Chucky, then Cult and you'll be set.
Watching Curse right now based on this advice. Still one of the better in the series.
Sorry, no, the less that TV companies plough into reality bullshit, the better. - Follow HorrorTalk on Twitter.

The never-updated blog.

Letterboxd - HorrorTalk.com 2017 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge

User avatar
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Posts: 4863
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:17 am
Anti-Spam Question: No
Location: At a party with the Lizzies

Re: 2017 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by Neon Maniac » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:21 am

Alien Redrum wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:44 pm
Neon Maniac wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:05 pm
Alien Redrum wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:00 pm
I think counting that would be the equivalent of me counting a documentary I watched on Sissy Spacek because she was in a horror film once.
Why were you watching a doc on Sissy Spacek? Did XFlix send you the wrong DVD again? Sissies in Space was decent, but not worth all the trouble you're going through to see it.
Because she's led a fascinating and well-rounded life, but you wouldn't know that because you are too judgmental and negative to watch documentary on her.
When you say, 'you are too judgmental and negative to watch documentary on her', do you mean that because I am too judgmental and negative, that I won't be interested in watching a documentary on her, or that since I am too judgmental and negative, I am being forbidden to watch documentaries on her?

Post Reply